How do I complain about a managing agent ?

There are various ways to do this with a few governing bodies. The most regulated body governing managing agents would be the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) whom have the most reprisals for their members and indeed any unsatisfied complaints would render them expelled and unable to conduct further business.

No one likes moaning or compaining but sometimes there is no alternative. You need to understand the options available anf this is important if you want to achieve the best result and avoid unnecessary costs or delays.

How to complain about a block management company if you’re unhappy with the service you receive.

1. Complain Directly To the Company in question
Before formalising your complaint, it’s important to make contact with the block management companyand see if they listen to your concerns and attempt to solve the problem there and then.

They should have a formal Complaints Procedure so request it - If you’re still  not sure how to complain about your block management company, ltake a look at their website or management contract. Information about the company’s complaints policy should be listed in one or more of these locations.

The asl for a timesclae for resolution - ie ask how quickly your complaint can be resolved, so expectations are clearly set and no confusion met. If you’re still unhappy with how the problem is handled, or the solution offered, you can make your complaint official via 3rd parties see below.

Still Not Satisfied ?
As we’ll talk you through in this next section, you can escalate your complaint to the Ombudsman, ARMA or RICS if dissatisfied with the resolution offered – but only if you’ve already:

Explained to the ,anaging agent  why you’re unhappy
Fully outlined what they need to do for resolution
Responded to follow-up correspondence they may have sent you
It is very important to retain copies of all correspondence and log all calls you have made, noting who you spoke to, the date and the outcome of the conversation.

The more information you provide the Ombudsman with the more efficient their investigation will be although a successful outcome is never 100% guaranteed.

2. Escalate to Ombudsman/Redress Scheme or other

The Property Redress Scheme
The Property Ombudsman (TPO)
Ombudsman Services Property – was discontinued in 2018. Any property management company belonging to it should have transferred their membership to one of the two above schemes.

How do I complain about my property management company if they don’t belong to one of these listed schemes? 

Go to ARMA or RICS - any reptable block manager should definately belong to either of these bodies - we can assist you in all of the above mentioned by filling out the form on this page, we will respond in 2 working hours.


M Argent, SW4