Complete Legal Work

This is a specialist area of law that many high street solicitors do not practice in.

If the timescales required for the various stages are not adhered to or the specified matters are not disclosed on a Notice then the Notice can be invalid to the detriment of one or other party.

Setting up the Freehold Company

There is a need to set up a Freehold Company through which the Freehold once transferred is owned. This company should reasonably represent the objectives of a company that only manages and owns a freehold title. We therefore do not recommend that you buy a company "off the shelf".

The articles of association are simplified for future meeting requirements and the objectives of the company tailored to running estates.

    The legal work necessary to complete a lease extension includes:

  • Obtaining a copy of the lease(s)
  • Obtaining a copy of the Land Registry Title Numbers for leasehold and Freehold titles
  • Checking leaseholders' eligibility to qualify/participate in the Freehold Enfranchisement application
  • Serving information notices to trace the Freeholder/Competent Landlord
  • Forming a company in which to buy the Freehold title
  • Serving Notices to Enfranchise
    • (a) On the Freeholder/Competent landlord(s), there may be an intermediate landlord
    • (b) Via a Vesting Order where the landlord cannot be found
    • (c) Via the Trustee in Bankruptcy where landlord is an individual who is bankrupt
    • (d) Via the Receiver where landlord is a company in receivership
  • Dealing with Landlord's requests for a deposit to be paid. By law this can be 10% of the premium or £250 whichever is the greater
  • Conveyancing to vest the title in the Freehold Company
  • Issuing Share certificates to participating lessees
  • Executing a Deeds of Variation to vary the term (length of the leases) to make the term up to 999 years
  • Advising on or considering other terms that variation would have benefit to one or both parties
  • Handling Client monies and paying the premium to the landlord
  • Registering the Freehold title in the Freehold Company at Land Registry
  • Registering all Deed of Variations in the Freehold Company at Land Registry
  • Obtaining Mortgagees (mortgage company's consent) to such registration of a Deed of Variations
  • Witnessing any deeds or discharge forms required by mortgage companies to enable registration that your lease has been extended with the Land Registry
  • Lodging a case with the First Tier Tribunal where terms cannot be agreed
How much cost
Lgs complete